During our February Network meeting, the LA Food Policy Council facilitated a collective harvest of ideas, questions and takeaways from attendees. This interactive activity invited audience members to take part in a participatory dialogue alongside discussion leaders on efforts to legalize street vending in the City of LA. The following consensus statement on street vending in LA reflects the rich and varied voices of stakeholders in the room.
I AGREE THAT…
- Street vendors are small business owners providing a much needed service to low-income communities with limited food options
- Street vendors make Los Angeles great, tasty, convenient and exciting
- Street vendors keep streets safe and vibrant
- A street vending policy must be affordable, inclusive and accessible
- A street vending policy should not ask for immigration status
- A street vending policy should allow vendors to choose their own vending locations
If you would like to learn more about how you can support street vendors to create a legal permit system, please do not hesitate to contact the LA Street Vendor Campaign. We need Good Food allies to show up to community meetings and City Council to support this policy.