The Los Angeles Food Policy Council is seeking passionate and dynamic interns to join our team for the summer. Interns play an important role in many aspects of our work. Interns work with staff on specific projects for 25 to 40 hours per week for at least ten weeks. Interns conduct research and analysis, provide outreach and education through social media and other strategies, assist with writing publications, provide event support, and help with some administrative tasks.
Download the LAFPC 2015 Summer Internship application.
The application deadline is Wednesday, April 1, 2015. Early submission of applications is encouraged.
Please contact us at email@example.com to receive application materials by email.
The LA Food Policy Council’s internship program seeks highly motivated and organized individuals who have a passion for food policy issues. The following is a list of general qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research, as well as the ability to organize and communicate research findings
- Commitment to social, environmental, and economic justice (commonly referred to as food justice)
- Policy/advocacy experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Good team player who can work diplomatically with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Solid computer skills
- Graduate-level students in master’s programs are preferred, though undergraduates with excellent applications will be considered
- Provide research and analysis for established or emerging policy priority areas. Examples of potential project topics include:
- Food system economic development
- Urban agriculture
- Healthy food retail (including Healthy Neighborhood Market Network)
- Good Food procurement (including Good Food Purchasing Policy)
- Food waste
- Food justice & equity
- Other timely policy topics as needed
- Develop toolkits and how-to guides on growing, distributing, sharing, and selling food
- Compile updated annual data for the Food System Snapshot project
- Translate from or into Spanish (or other languages as needed)
- Edit documents in Spanish (or other languages as needed)
- Write content, including LAFPC member interviews, for LAFPC’s quarterly e-mail newsletters
- Support LAFPC social media strategy by contributing content to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, HootSuite, website and blog
- Assist with compiling press kits and informational packets
- Assist with maintenance and content development for LAFPC website
- Assist with Good Food Gala, Food Day and/or monthly meeting preparation and logistics
- Assist with event planning and execution
- Help staff events