December is an exciting time for Good Food, and we’re not just talking about the holidays. There are several food policy opportunities happening in the City of LA in the next two weeks related to school food, street food vending and urban agriculture. We encourage you to submit a letter of support on behalf of your organization or as an individual. Please see our letter of support templates below.
December 2, 2014: LA Street Vendor Committee Hearing
Street vendors play an important role in bringing fresh food to low-income neighborhoods, and they are a vibrant part of our local food economy. By legalizing sidewalk vending, the City of LA creates jobs, supports local food entrepreneurs and activates the vibrancy and safety of the streets. Your letter of support and your presence on Dec 2nd will make a huge impact!
Here are three EASY steps to show your support for LA Street Vendors!
1. Use the template letter of support.
2. Email your letter of support to the City Clerk Richard Williams at richard.williams[at]lacity[dot]org> and cc: Felipe Chavez at felipe.v.chavez[at]lacity[dot]org and Clare Fox at cfox[at]goodfoodla[dot]org with subject line: “Re: Support for Sidewalk Vending Ordinance CF #13-1493 by Monday December 1st.
3. Attend the Economic Development Committee Hearing on December 2nd in City Hall Room 1010, and support LA street vendors! Committee hearing takes place on Tuesday December 2nd at 1:00 PM. Press Conference will be at 11 AM. LA City Hall Address: 200 N. Spring Street. Los Angeles 90012. Metro Stop: Civic Center. Parking in lots on Main Street, $6 parking.
December 9, 2014: LAUSD School Board hearing on the Good Food Purchasing Pledge
On November 18th, LAUSD School Board Member Zimmer (co-sponsors: Vladovic, Kayser) introduced a resolution aimed at reaffirming and strengthening LAUSD’s commitment to the Good Food Purchasing Pledge to ensure that it is included in upcoming contract bidding language. Thank you to our partners who attended this meeting or who have sent letters to show support for the ongoing leadership LAUSD has demonstrated by committing its purchasing power to encourage fair, sustainable, and humane supply chain practices and support local producers.
It’s not too late to show your support!
1. Click here for template language, and feel free to add a sentence or two about why LAUSD’s commitment to purchasing Good Food is important to you.
2. Send your letter to the Executive Officer of the Board Jefferson Crain at Jefferson.crain[at]lausd[dot]net and cc: Colleen McKinney cmckinney[at]goodfoodla[dot]org.
3. Attend the LAUSD Board Meeting on December 9th at 12pm in the Board Room (333 S. Beaudry). We will update this page with more detailed information about the hearing as it becomes available.
December 18, 2014: City of LA Urban Agriculture Incentive Zones (AB 551) –Letters of Support
On October 8, Councilmembers Felipe Fuentes and Curren Price introduced a motion requesting City departments to implement the Urban Agriculture Incentives Act, Assembly Bill 551, in the City of LA. If passed, this policy could help transform vacant and blighted parcels into vibrant urban farms and community gardens by providing a property tax benefit to property owners who lease their land to a food growing operation. This can reduce the impact of blight on communities, while also expanding access to nutritious and affordable food and providing land security to urban agriculture projects.
1. Click link for template language, and feel free to add a sentence or two about why urban agriculture is important to you.
2. Send your letter to the info[at]goodfoodla[dot]org.