Join the Los Angeles Food Policy Council and our partners in celebrating Food Day Los Angeles on the morning of Wednesday, October 23, 2013.
Highlights of the day will include:
- Recognizing the progress made by the first institutions to participate in the Good Food Purchasing Pledge program.
- The launch of our first annual Los Angeles Food System Snapshot report.
- Special guest speakers, including: LA City Councilmembers Paul Koretz (Dist. 5), Nury Martinez (Dist. 6), Felipe Fuentes (Dist. 7), Curren Price, Jr. (Dist. 9), Mile Bonin (Dist. 11); LAUSD Board of Education Member Steve Zimmer (Dist. 4); Dr. Paul Simon, Director of Chronic Disease & Injury Prevention, LA County Dept. of Public Health.
- A chance to find out what issues and projects LAFPC’s Working Groups have been working on.
- Samples of delicious food using ingredients that are local, sustainable, humane, fair and nutritious, inspired by recipes from LAUSD students.
Activities will take place in City Hall at the third floor Rotunda beginning at 8:30 am. Shortly there after we will proceed to City Council Chambers.
Los Angeles City Hall, 200 North Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
8:30 AM Hearing of CAO annual report on the Good Food Purchasing Pledge
in the Arts, Parks, Health, Aging and River Committee (City Hall
9:00 AM Program in Rotunda begins
9:15 AM Opening remarks by Paula Daniels, Chair of the LAFPC
Introduction of Los Angeles Food System Snapshot
9:20 AM Recognition of Good Food Purchasing Institutions
9:25 AM Councilmember Paul Koretz
9:29 AM Councilmember Nury Martinez
9:33 AM Councilmember Felipe Fuentes
9:37 AM Councilmember Mike Bonin
9:41 AM Councilmember Curren D. Price, Jr.
9:45 AM City Controller Ron Galperin
9:49 AM LAUSD Board Member Steve Zimmer
9:52 AM Dr. Paul Simon, LA County Department of Public Health
10:00 AM City Council Chambers
- Recognition of participants in the Good Food Purchasing Policy
- Resolution to celebrate the Council’s support of urban agriculture and its commitment to ensuring a strong and sustainable local food system and declare October 23, 2013 as National Food Day in the City of Los Angeles Hearing on Council Motion 13-0478
Download the Media Advisory
UPDATE (11/25/2013): To read a full event review of Food Day 2013, click here.